Calalta Waterworks’ water treatment system uses a combination of ultra membrane filtration, ultraviolet treatment and chlorination to ensure safe drinking water for the community. The system creates an equally safe and renewable operation as the treatment of backwashed water minimizes waste. The system treats backwashed water to reduce waste to less than 4% while maintaining water purity and while achieving environmental sustainability initiatives.
Alberta Environmental guidelines requires water quality to be better than 0.10 ntu (nephelometric turbidity units) at least 95% of the time. The Calalta Water System is producing, on average, water that is more than 3 times better than the guideline. Calalta has redundancy built in throughout its water treatment and distribution facility. From duplicate
systems and parallel filtration to a potable water reservoir containing approximately a two week back up water supply, the system is designed to provide customers peace of mind in terms of water supply and quality.
Calalta’s plant was designed both for the present and the future. The plant has excess capacity today and was designed to grow with the Springbank community.
As a larger regional utility, water rates are governed by the Alberta Utilities Commission. Calalta Waterworks through collaboration on
connection and capital requirements works with all stakeholders to identify win-win financial solutions.
The Water Source
All of the water flowing through Calalta’s treatment plant comes from the Elbow River and flows through a 10” waterline. The source wells at the Elbow River have a natural gravel filtration process that provides a high-quality raw water source. Additional water filtration provides consistent quality that exceeds Alberta Environment potable water guidelines. The Ultra Membrane filtration plant uses state-of-the-art technology in its operations, making it one of a kind in Western Canada. The plant was designed to exceed industry standards and Calalta Waterworks has continued to upgrade the facility to exceed the water safety guidelines
- Environmental Responsibility
- Calalta’s water system utilizes a backwash recovery system, meaning the normal 20% of water that usually goes to waste is reduced to less than 4%.
- The system is AUC rate regulated.
- UV Treatment
- UV treatment is not required by the approval to operate but instead it was added to ensure the best quality and safest possible water.
- UV is unlike chemical approaches to water disinfection, UV provides rapid, effective inactivation of microorganisms through a physical process. When bacteria, viruses and protozoa are exposed to the germicidal wavelengths of UV light, they are rendered incapable of reproducing and infecting.
- UV light has demonstrated efficacy against pathogenic organisms, including those responsible for cholera, polio, typhoid, hepatitis and other bacterial, viral and parasitic diseases. In addition, UV light (either alone or in conjunction with hydrogen peroxide) can destroy chemical contaminants such as pesticides, industrial solvents, and pharmaceuticals through a process called UV-oxidation.
- The filtration system in place allows for maximum quality with minimal chemical addition such as coagulants and flocculant aids found in conventional water treatment systems.
- Today’s PVDF hollow fiber membrane module effectively removes suspended solids and microorganisms such as pathogens, when used for various types of water treatment.
- The plant, pipe and well systems consist of:
- Water intake from the Elbow river consisting of gravel filtration.
- 5 subsurface intake wells ensuring water through drought or flood
- 10” commercial pipeline that allows the possibility of future growth in the Springbank community.
- 500,000-gallon potable reservoir ensuring service through unforeseeable shutdowns or emergencies.
- Safety and Security
- With the combination of an above ground reservoir and a full system backup generator, water storage and distribution are optimized for safety and continuous supply.
- The treatment plant is monitored 24/7 with remote terminal access and around the clock security measures. The system allows alarm conditions to be monitored and stabilized remotely.
- Calalta has contracted a well-established and experienced third-party operator consisting of multiple employees at or above the highest certification level for operating the treatment and distribution systems.
- The team has a combined 30+ years’ experience in the industry.